Sunday, November 2, 2008

MSNBC vs. FOX News

As a follow up to my last post, a relevant article in the New York Times discusses the two networks. Essentially, FOX News was formed 12 years ago for "nonliberals" starved for a non-biased show during the day and an openly conservative-leaning opinion at night. It wasn't until recently that MSNBC established itself as a liberal alternative to FOX News during primetime after struggling for an identity and probably lagging in ratings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Randy, I’m glad you brought this up because the press and media during this election cycle have also caught my attention. No doubt that MSNBC and FOX are on opposite sides of the spectrum politically. But as long as viewers know that while watching, they can use their own rational filters to determine what they think. I would point out that MSNBC only recently acknowledged their left-leaning scope, but up until that point were holding themselves out as true “unbiased” journalists. And this is the issue I have with the other major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN) that are portraying themselves as impartial news sources.

While trying not to sound like a conspiracy theorist, I ask that the readers consider the coverage these media sources gave Sarah Palin vs the coverage they gave Joe Biden. Do you believe that the coverage of these two were fair and unbiased? I’ve attached some links to Joe Biden clips on youtube for your review:

His affection for the Indian immigrant population
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll_goH-aivU

Barack Obama’s Cleanness
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mgTMjtWMv0

Further elaboration of Obama’s cleanness I guess (Al Sharpton seems pleased)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQD3B9vEe_M&feature=related

Joe Biden’s Assessment of Qualifications
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpjAs4vtc1w&feature=related

Now those are pretty funny I think. But it begs the asking of a couple of questions. 1) Do you remember these news sources ever mentioning these, and if so, how often?; and 2) What do you think the coverage would have been if Sarah Palin had said something similar, keeping in mind the constant and current coverage of important issues such as her wardrobe?

Anonymous said...

Great job on the entire blog.