That's what people were talking about back when Bush was elected. And I hear it now, on the chance that McCain gets elected (okay, so it's not likely based on all the polls). I don't hang around and talk with McCain supporters, so who knows if they're saying the same thing if Obama gets elected? People just need to calm down. It's not like we're changing to a dictatorship with Saddam Hussein back from the dead if Obama gets elected, although people may think that (they do share the same name...) And if McCain gets elected, is it really all that bad? He is a moderate Republican (well, I guess you have to ignore the fact that Palin is his VP).
When it comes to politics, similar to religion, people get all worked up about it, because only their view is right, they can only see their side, and they have such big blinders on. Isn't there a possibility that you could be wrong? That the opposing side may have a valid viewpoint? That's why I don't like to seriously watch MSNBC or FOX News because of their inherent biases. It's fun to watch and see what one channel is talking about that the other channel isn't even discussing, but you can't watch it seriously. It's just so funny to hear pundits talk until they're blue in the face about some point that any sane, reasonable, objective person would think is ridiculous. You hear them going on and on, using the same talking points, defending some ridiculous point. Both sides do it, liberals and conservatives.
People get worked up over politics and elections. I get it. I know sometimes I do when I'm watching the news channels about that day's "breaking news." Maybe to ease up on the blood pressure, we just all need to admit that we could be wrong. Tell yourself, maybe Palin could actually speak in a coherent way, and even if she doesn't, it has no reflection on how she would lead.
It has been nerve racking at times waiting for the elections on Nov. 4th. Maybe the best way to cope is read the Seattle Times guest article that talks about this whole idea that I've been thinking about for awhile: the fact that you could be wrong and it wouldn't be that bad if the other side won. And in the meantime, before you move to Canada, appreciate the fact that you're actually voting between Obama and McCain, and not between Hitler and Saddam Hussein.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment