
Seattle Times: Reichert
Post Intelligencer: Reichert
I like Dave Reichert. I heard him give a speech when the Nisei Veterans Hall re-opened, and his sincerity when he spoke moved me. There were plenty of other Democrats who spoke and I don’t remember their speeches, but I remembered Reichert’s sincerity. With his background as the King County Sheriff, I also feel safe around him. Based on their endorsements, both the Times and the PI believe he’s done a good job as a moderate Republican.
On the other hand, I don’t like Darcy Burner. There is something weird about her voice that I just can’t peg, and frankly, she sounds unintelligent (I’m sure she’s not, seeing as how she has a computer science degree from Harvard). Maybe it’s her smile, or her glasses, I don’t know, but she just downright annoys me.
But I’m not voting for Miss Congeniality. I’m not going to be working with these individuals and I won’t be interacting with them. For local races, I have no problem voting for Republicans (except for the Governor’s position, see below) as the social conservative agenda doesn’t come into play. However, for a federal election, as a Democrat, I vote to support the issues, and Burner more closely mirrors my beliefs.
Some may say to vote Republican in this race, since there is a strong possibility that the Democrats will control both Congress and the Presidency, creating unchecked Democratic control. Maybe with another President there would be something to fear. However, as an Obama believer, I believe in him to do the right thing. I want to give him all the help he can get to enact his policies if he wins. And we still don’t know who will win, the polls could be way off. Some polls have Obama leading in double digits, and others have it as a virtual tie. If you believe in Obama’s policies, why wouldn’t you also vote for Burner whose policies would closely mirror his?
Vote Yes for Burner if you believe in Obama. Vote No if you fear the possibility of both Congress and the Presidency controlled by the Democrats.
If you still can’t decide, look at the Seattle Times Q&A, and see the Seattle Times Voters Guide for a side-by-side comparison of their stances.
3 comments:
I’m voting for Dave Reichert because of his experience and moderate record. Plus I agree with Randy’s intuition regarding personality.
I’m not voting for Darcy Burner, also because I agree with Randy’s intuition regarding her personality. A couple of other things about her bother me. One is her campaign mailings I’ve received. I noted various and random pictures of Obama. Not her with Obama, just Obama standing there by himself. What exactly is that supposed to tell me about Darcy Burner when I’m making my highly analytical voting choice? Not much, other than she is highly partisan and would be likely to act that way in DC. Not what we need right now.
On the plus side for her, she has a great sense of creativity. Especially when it comes to telling about her experience and education. In her first run for this position, she advertised herself as a former Microsoft executive. After further scrutiny, she down graded her role to former Microsoft manager. Hey, I was a Microsoft manager, maybe I’ll make a run for it. Most recently she showed her creativity when describing her education. I thought a computer science degree from Harvard was quite impressive, but since the economy is on the minds of the people recently, she openly stated that she had a degree from Harvard in economics. Again after further scrutiny, she admitted that she had taken some economics classes, but didn’t actually have an econ degree. Hey, I took some econ classes too, maybe I’ll make a run for it. These are probably small infractions by themselves, but seem to indicate what kind of person she is.
Vote for Reichert if:
• You think he will continue to be a moderate voice.
Vote for Burner if:
• You also engage in resume embellishment.
Vote for RedGuyinaBlueState if:
• You were going to vote for Burner, but now believe RedGuy is a better choice after reading this blog.
Are you serious? What kind of logic is that? Would you vote for a candidate with a felony record just because he had the same beliefs as you do? I would hope not. How can you put someone like Burner in office to represent you?
Hold on now, it's not like Burner has a felony record. I might not like her personality, but that's different than if she had a felony. Do I think she was being disingenuous when talking about her degree? Yes. Do I think that she's not being honorable? Yes. But do I think that interferes with how she could do her job? No. Both sides of this race have made disingenuous statements, but I don't think it means that they can't do their job.
Actually, now that I think about it, if a candidate had a felony record, depending on what the felony records was for, how long ago it was, and if the person had changed since then, I would still vote for that person if I didn't think it would interfere with their job. Not sure if you can run for office if you have a felony on your record, but I believe that if a person has paid their dues, have changed their ways, that they can be a good person. I'll admit that I'm in the minority with my beliefs, but I don't care. I believe that a person can recant their ways and become a better person. Not everyone, but some can.
Post a Comment