Seattle Times: Rossi
Post Intelligencer: Gregoire
Are you really going to vote for someone who lists himself as “Prefers G.O.P. Party?” The Grand Old Party Party? To quote an unnamed individual at work, “Seriously?” To be consistent, maybe he should put his name on the ballot as “Dino Rossi Rossi.” Or list his current occupation as “Commercial Real Estate Estate.” Or his education from “Seattle University University.” I really hope Rossi doesn’t stutter, ‘cause then I’ll feel bad.
If you are a Democrat please vote for Gregoire. Don’t even think about Rossi. In a blue state, it’s amazing that the race 4 years ago was so close, and is still probably close this year.
Some of it may have to do with the fact that Rossi just seems to be a likeable, funny guy. When you see him, he’s always smiling. I like people who smile, it makes we want to smile and puts me in a better mood. Gregoire on the other hand, looks downright scary. In fact, I’m afraid of her, she looks really mean, like the strict Vice-Principal you once had in middle school that would kick your ass if it was legal. She’s like McCain and Rossi is Obama. But Gregoire can’t help it – a woman at her age (61) to have succeeded early on in the old boys network, she had to act hyper-professional. That’s just how it was back then.
Some may say in a local election, party affiliation doesn’t matter as much. The Seattle Times wrote an editorial blasting the Gregoire campaign for discussing Rossi’s stance against embryonic stem cell research, saying that it is irrelevant to the Governor’s race since there are no plans for stem cell research in Washington.
I disagree. A likeable Republican who can sway the votes of Democrats, I would be very afraid to vote that person into the governor’s office. Why? Many Presidential candidates come from the Governor’s office. I know, Rossi probably won’t be running for president anytime soon, but you have to stop thinking short-term and make strategic decisions that benefit you in the long-term. I would do all that I can to prevent giving Rossi a position in the Governor’s office, because you never know when a likeable Republican’s stance on embryonic stem cell research may come back later to haunt you if he gets propelled into the national spotlight. Look at Palin, who would’ve ever thought she would be on the ticket? It's not like I'm just voting for Gregoire to keep Rossi out. I believe she's done a good job and we need someone proven.
Vote Gregoire if you’re a social liberal. Vote for Rossi if you like people who smile.
From the PI Editorial:
Post Intelligencer: Gregoire
Are you really going to vote for someone who lists himself as “Prefers G.O.P. Party?” The Grand Old Party Party? To quote an unnamed individual at work, “Seriously?” To be consistent, maybe he should put his name on the ballot as “Dino Rossi Rossi.” Or list his current occupation as “Commercial Real Estate Estate.” Or his education from “Seattle University University.” I really hope Rossi doesn’t stutter, ‘cause then I’ll feel bad.
If you are a Democrat please vote for Gregoire. Don’t even think about Rossi. In a blue state, it’s amazing that the race 4 years ago was so close, and is still probably close this year.
Some of it may have to do with the fact that Rossi just seems to be a likeable, funny guy. When you see him, he’s always smiling. I like people who smile, it makes we want to smile and puts me in a better mood. Gregoire on the other hand, looks downright scary. In fact, I’m afraid of her, she looks really mean, like the strict Vice-Principal you once had in middle school that would kick your ass if it was legal. She’s like McCain and Rossi is Obama. But Gregoire can’t help it – a woman at her age (61) to have succeeded early on in the old boys network, she had to act hyper-professional. That’s just how it was back then.
Some may say in a local election, party affiliation doesn’t matter as much. The Seattle Times wrote an editorial blasting the Gregoire campaign for discussing Rossi’s stance against embryonic stem cell research, saying that it is irrelevant to the Governor’s race since there are no plans for stem cell research in Washington.
I disagree. A likeable Republican who can sway the votes of Democrats, I would be very afraid to vote that person into the governor’s office. Why? Many Presidential candidates come from the Governor’s office. I know, Rossi probably won’t be running for president anytime soon, but you have to stop thinking short-term and make strategic decisions that benefit you in the long-term. I would do all that I can to prevent giving Rossi a position in the Governor’s office, because you never know when a likeable Republican’s stance on embryonic stem cell research may come back later to haunt you if he gets propelled into the national spotlight. Look at Palin, who would’ve ever thought she would be on the ticket? It's not like I'm just voting for Gregoire to keep Rossi out. I believe she's done a good job and we need someone proven.
Vote Gregoire if you’re a social liberal. Vote for Rossi if you like people who smile.
From the PI Editorial:
Washington voters should re-elect Gregoire based on proven performance, capability and drive. Especially for uncertain times, she's a much more proven leader than her Republican rival, former state Sen. Dino Rossi.If you want to look at a quick summary on their views, you can read the Seattle Times Summary. Note that Gregoire supports the WASL while Rossi is in favor of replacing it with a proven standardized test model. You’ll see below that I’m in favor of changing the WASL, but her stances as a social liberal trumps her position on the WASL.
Rossi was a capable senator and is a capable campaigner. But his avoidance of questions about his social conservatism, his unrealistic transportation ideas and even his unwillingness to be labeled Republican on the ballot all warn there's a lot about how Rossi would govern that most of us, including perhaps the candidate, would learn only after he took on the job.
Gregoire is a known, trustworthy performer. She led state agencies well for years, and has done the same for the whole state. Gregoire has made improvements and smart choices in perhaps every area of major responsibility, many long neglected.
4 comments:
Dude, you're pretty funny! Your blogs are easy to read and entertaining. You'll be happy to know I'm filling in my ballot for Gregoire. Thanks for writing all this - it's helpful cuz I don't have the time to do all the research.
-susie
I’m voting to re-elect Dino Rossi. I use the term “re-elect” because as you may remember, he initially won the last election against Gregoire but after re-counting ballots a couple of times in some select districts (that just happened to be historically Democrat) Gregoire was pronounced the winner.
Grasp of grammar aside, I think Rossi’s business experience is a plus. It looks like we are in for some tough economic times ahead, and we will need someone who understands business, particularly what economic policies will foster economic growth and job creation.
I have no major beef with Gregoire really. There is a large deficit I’ve read, but considering all that’s going on, we are probably lucky they haven’t shut down all together.
In a blue state, it’s amazing that the race 4 years ago was so close, and is still probably close this year...what does that say about Gregoire. She sucks!!!! And worry about now and not about hypothetical what-ifs. Who is going to make our state better?
What does that say about Gregoire? More like, What does that say about Washington voters? That they're easily swayed by a likeable guy and can only think in the short-term and not the long-term? These are the same people who amass huge credit card debt, not because they don't have money to buy necessities, but because the want the short-term gratification of buying stuff without thinking of the long-term pain of paying off high credit-card interest rates.
But to quote redguyinabluestate from an offline comment:
"I wanted to make one more point about Gregoire. Since she has been in office, what has happened to the Husky football program? Coincidence? I think not. A vote for Rossi is a vote for Husky football obviously."
That was so funny, I had to post it. But, seriously, I'm running down to the polls right now to change my vote. Husky football needs all the help it can get. Who's with me?
Post a Comment